With the ever evolving changes Covid-19 brings we have decided to move all updates to this page.
Here we are able to provide a chronological listing of our updates.
February 10, 2021Alberta Stage 1 Re-launch.
The lifting of some restrictions has enable the Edmonton Scottish Society and Edmonton Soccer Dome to proceed with some activities. These activities are outlined in our Stage 1 re-launch announcement found HERE
November 24 2020 Update
Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines.
Complete details and measures can be found on the Government of Alberta Website
As a result facilities at the Edmonton Scottish Society including the Edmonton Soccer Dome have been closed.
Alberta Health Services update from November 12/2020 has implemented a 2 week restriction effective Friday November 13 to Friday November 27 on the following;
Community-specific mandatory measures
Ban on indoor group fitness classes and team sport activities (Nov 13-27).
Ban on group performance activities: singing, dancing and theatre (Nov 13-27).
Restaurants, bars, lounges and pubs must stop liquor sales by 10pm and close by 11pm - applies to Class A, B or C licences (Nov 13-27).
15-person limit on social and family gatherings - indoors and outdoors - where people are mixing and mingling.
50-person limit on indoor and outdoor wedding ceremonies and funeral services.
As a result the Edmonton Soccer Dome and facilities of the Edmonton Scottish Society will be closed from Friday November 13 to Saturday November 28. Please note the suspension of play includes games, practice/training, or any team events. The games that are postponed during this period will be rescheduled to the end of season and will mean a slight extension to the season, possibly into April. EDSA will resume on Sunday November 29th.
Highland Gathering Update April 26, 2020
The Edmonton Scottish Society, like many organisations, has been watching the updates and recommendations put forth by Government, Heath and other similar organizations in order to determine our path moving forward.
Due to the recommendations set out April 23, 2020 by Alberta Chief Medical Office Dr. Denna Hinshaw all mass gatherings including 1 time seasonal events are to be cancelled. It is therefore with a heavy heart that the Edmonton Scottish Society will be cancelling the Highland Gathering for this year.
The Highland Gathering committee is refocusing their efforts on next years gathering. With this extended planning time frame we hope to make the gathering the biggest yet.
We understand that the cancellation of all these events we have come to love in our short summer months is disappointing for everyone. Above all else we want to wish everyone good health and safety during this time. We also wish to thank, not only all of you engaged in essential service work, but also to all of you who are doing what is necessary to keep us all healthy and safe.
The well being of you, your families and all of those around you is paramount during these times. The board at the Edmonton Scottish Society and the volunteers assisting us in so many ways wishes you and your families all the best.
April 2 / 2020
Update for the Highland Gathering
There have been a lot of changes since the top of the year, and there will no doubt be more changes still to come.
The current goal is to #stayhome as much as possible, practice #socialdistancing and #flattenthecurve - everyone is doing their part to help keep us all safe.
We at the Edmonton Scottish Society are remaining optimistic, and therefore our Highland Games Committee is continuing their planning and meetings electronically. We remain hopeful that the Highland Gathering will be able to continue as scheduled, providing hundreds the opportunity to reconnect as a community in the best way possible - with a Ceilidh and Highland Gathering!
While we continue to plan and remain optimistic that the games will go on as scheduled, we will also follow the guidelines set out by health professionals and as a result, there remains the possibility of needing to postpone the games to a time that is safe for all involved.
At the current moment, we are planning for the existing date of the Gathering, June 28th, 2020, and will have made a final decision and announcement by May 31st as to whether we can proceed.
If we are unable to proceed with the event on the scheduled date of June 28th, 2020, we are currently planning to postpone the gathering to August 30, 2020.
Vendors – Registration forms are still available on the website and this page. Please continue to register, and reach out via email should you have any questions.
Volunteers – Please continue to express your interest via our website form and submit your information. We will be reaching out closer to the event to schedule information sessions!
Until then, please watch here for additional updates.
The health and safety of those involved and those attending is of utmost importance to us, as is providing a space for the community to gather in celebration of Scottish culture!
We look forward to being able to safely gather for competition, dancing, pipes, and to enjoy a much deserved dram with all of you!
March 14 / 2020
With regards to Alberta's Chief Medical Officer statement from March 12/20 we are working through the practical implications and will release additional information as soon as possible.
We sincerely appreciate your patience while we determine our next steps.
For information regarding this statement please visit